Ambera Wellmann

After 9/11 I could not paint for a while because i just felt nervous and unsettled so when i did begin to work again I painted clouds, and nothing but. This went on for a few years until i transitioned to other things. I never felt entirely satisfied with my cloud paintings because they often ended up looking like floating rocks to me- very frustrating overall but still the clouds becond to me to paint them mainly because i had so many partial successes.
So whenever I discover a painter who can capture the essence of a cloud I am impressed and Ambera Wellmann is one such painter. This artist is new at oil painting (how annoying) and so very talented for her years. She has such a natural and intuitive understanding of color- placing a gorgeous Alizarin crimson in a sliced suggestion of a landscape with a contrasting greenish neutral for the turbulent sky above. The vapor and twisting clouds all move organically with such passion too, much like a Turner...but with the intellegence of a Gerhard Richter. I wish I had been able to comprehend (and execute) such intelligent painting when i was that age. Lucky duck.

No comments:

Post a Comment

my studio

my studio
where all the painting happens

A Wall in my Studio

A Wall in my Studio
thoughts and ideas

Dear Me

Dear Me
Oil Painting - myself as a deer

The NightJar

My photo
A daily (hopefully) log of things in my life. i am an artist, a painter who uses oil and encaustic. College teacher, wife and mom to boy/girl twins.

Sweet Pea (or Peg Leg Poo)

Sweet Pea (or Peg Leg Poo)
argh mateys!