Jen Shifflet at Chandra Cerito Contemporary




I kept hearing about this fantastic painter named Jen Shifflet and how much our paintings were similar to each others. Around the fifth time that I heard this coincided with an exhibition of her work at Chandra Cerito Contemporary, so I decided I must check her paintings out. Although her work is organic abstraction and I only sometimes work in that vein, there was surely a synchronicity to how we both paint... layers of juicy oil, a commitment to technique, depth of composition and richness of color. Even some of the flourishes and calligraphic linear elements that Shifflet uses are reminiscent of components of my own paintings. As I gazed at her work I kept getting strange deja vu feelings like- "Have I painted this before"??? The nice part (however slightly disappointing)is that she a better painter in many ways ...sigh. But I am lucky to learn from her examples. Check it out yourself until the last week of August.

2 comments:

my studio

my studio
where all the painting happens

A Wall in my Studio

A Wall in my Studio
thoughts and ideas

Dear Me

Dear Me
Oil Painting - myself as a deer

The NightJar

My photo
A daily (hopefully) log of things in my life. i am an artist, a painter who uses oil and encaustic. College teacher, wife and mom to boy/girl twins.

Sweet Pea (or Peg Leg Poo)

Sweet Pea (or Peg Leg Poo)
argh mateys!