Little Orange


Every so often the urge strikes me to paint traditional still life subjects. I have to be in the mood because for me it is so much harder to paint something that is in front of me than making something up on the fly....this is because there are rules about what can and cant be put down...and i dont like rules (typical artist...sigh) I started this painting,however, by using first a blood orange for a subject. I didn't like what was coming out at first and so time past by and i kept working on it...and my blood orange still life started to shrink...and shrink....and then before it petrified, (well, no really it did petrify first) i threw it out and painted completely over the original with a "regular" orange. There are so many many layers on this little (5" square) painting. So, I did end up making it up after all. Heh, heh. And i liked it way better too. I just listed this today on Etsy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

my studio

my studio
where all the painting happens

A Wall in my Studio

A Wall in my Studio
thoughts and ideas

Dear Me

Dear Me
Oil Painting - myself as a deer

The NightJar

My photo
A daily (hopefully) log of things in my life. i am an artist, a painter who uses oil and encaustic. College teacher, wife and mom to boy/girl twins.

Sweet Pea (or Peg Leg Poo)

Sweet Pea (or Peg Leg Poo)
argh mateys!